Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A new project for the house...

Hey everybody! Bryon here. I just wanted to let everybody know about the latest project at the house...

You see - Darlene is out of town visiting some friends. So what am I going to do at home by myself? Heck - why not rip out all of the drywall in the bathroom!

I can hear you now... "What in the world?" and normally I would agree. It doesn't sound like much fun. But for those of you who have been inside the downstairs hall bathroom, you know of it's "condition"...

You see - When I moved in (12 years ago - it really has been that long!) there was this god-awful wallpaper in the bathroom Darlene and I worked and worked and worked (and then worked some more) at getting all of the paper off. Then we washed the walls with DIF trying to get all of the paste off...

Then we put up some primer. Then we painted. Then the real trouble began.

The problem was the paste under the paint. With the heat and ultra-high humidity, the paint would crack and fleck off the wall. Imagine how pretty that is.

So we spackled over it. We tried different primers. We tried different paint. All to no avail. It got to be so bad that when people asked where the bathroom was, we would direct them to the one in the spare bedroom...

So I've been working on it the last two evenings. I'll post the details and some pics in another post. But the "short version" of the story is that all of the drywall has been removed and the new drywall has been hung with the first coat of mud. Not bad for a couple of evenings after work!

If I'm lucky, I'll have it all done before Darlene gets back. Oh - did I mention that I haven't told her I was doing this?

No comments: